Tuesday 15 March 2011

Foolscap records - digging out and photocopying

I helped a staff member today with accessing historic committee papers for a project, the easy part was pulling them out! The index system holds firm, everything is where it should be and the files are ready for use.

Having got them out, clearly photocopying some items would be helpful to allow him to work better.

It was a pleasant surprise to get hold of these documents from the 60s and take it all in. I certainly enjoyed the language used and their presentation but making copies was another thing all together! The complication was that these documents were in foolscap format which is longer in length than A4.

Photocopies on trays designed for A4 certainly made life difficult, I need to go out and see how others get around managing foolscap in an A4 world! I ended up orientating the page to cut off margins but not text but it was messy and quite frankly difficult. I am sure there are better ways of dealing with this, but I was pressed for time.

This also reminded me that some of the mid 90s electronic papers are in WordStar format which will present it's own challenges to retrieve and display again!

No comments: