Monday 19 July 2010

Sharepoint - an exciting opportunity for organisations?

I have been taking a good look at Sharepoint recently, many organisations are expressing a great interest in this platform (particularly SP2010) either as a complement to existing arrangements or an outright replacement.

I am currently investigating its suitability but can already see some potential given Office 2010 and Office Communicator integration and how you can virtually instantly make contact with document authors from the properties screen. So I can imagine how much better document sharing and collaboration might be with SharePoint given a little bit of insight from Office 2010 alone.

The general consensus seems to be that thankfully many core functions of document and records management are now within SP 2010 where they were lacking in 2007. The UI is improved, metadata better supported, retention policy is better implemented.

I already have a SP 2007 VHD setup at home and can see the document management side coming through it, but it is somewhat more restricted than other platforms I have used. I look forward to continuing my investigative work on this and hopefully getting my hands on with a SP 2010 platform soon either at work or at home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SharePoint 2010 provide a single platform for all your business needs. It has wide range of functions like messaging, records management,collaboration on a single infrastructure.
It is hosted on a single server and can be accessed by multiple users at a time.
records management